Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Twitter - an educational tool?

 

http://novemberlearning.com/educational-resources-for-educators/teaching-and-learning-articles/how-twitter-can-be-used-as-a-powerful-educational-tool/

I will be completely honest in saying that I rarely ever use Twitter. I have an account that I used to use quite regularly, but I've drifted away from it as I've gotten older. I guess I kind of feel like I have better things to do than tweet everything that happens throughout my day. Which is why I thought this article was interesting. Because it made me consider that Twitter  could be much more than that. I think it's very true that this social media can provide global communication and exchanging of information. People from all over the world are conversating and putting their ideas out there on this site and you can simply type in a keyword or "hashtag" and learn all sorts of things about that topic. You're able to broaden your thinking by seeing what other people have to say. I thought it was really interesting that the author put the idea out there of creating a classroom account and using certain hashtags. This could be a tool they use to ask others questions about certain topics and receive ideas from all over the world. It's a way of connecting that was never possible before social media. I also thought it was interesting that one teacher got an account on Twitter to communicate with her students outside of the classroom with bonus questions and reminding them of things they learned in class. This could possibly be a way for students to retain more information than just from seeing it in the classroom. I'm so happy that I came upon this article because it has sparked ideas for my future classroom and has given me a new perspective on Twitter! I definitely have more appreciation for this particular social media site than I ever have before. It doesn't have to be a waste of time, it can actually be something that helps many people, including teachers and their students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment